Have you just bought a new house? Do you have plans of renovating your current one? Are you thinking of new ways to spruce up your yard?
Then letterboxes can be the answer to your kerb concerns.
Style and Substance
Whether you are thinking of new ways to amp up the look of your façade or looking for new home improvement features, then you can train your eyes towards letterboxes.
Letterboxes are usually overlooked during the home improvement process. These useful correspondence carriers can be passed over more ostentatious options such as fountains, intricately carved gates, or yard sculptures. However, any smart homeowner knows the value of a quality letterbox.
Aside from its functional qualities, letterboxes can also add aesthetic appeal to any front yard. With so many choices to choose from, it is not hard to find a letterbox that will suit any type of house design or theme.
Here are four types of letterboxes that will definitely boost kerb appeal of anyone’s home:
1.>1. Freestanding Letterboxes>Freestanding letterboxes are ones that can stand on their own. These kinds can come in a variety of designs – from pine wood front panels to galvanized steel frames and powder coated finishes.
These boxes are great if you want yours to stand apart from your other yard installations. It is also ideal for homes that already have gates and fences built. You don’t need to tear down existing structures simply to fit in a letterbox. These letterboxes can easily be installed in a preferred location in your property.
You can even opt for a parcel letterbox that has a separate letterbox and parcel compartment. If you have active subscriptions, you may to get one with a separate newspaper slot and is key lockable for added security.
2. Bri>2. Brick-in Letterboxesyou’re having a brick wall constructed, you can also add on a letterbox to add more form and function. There are brick-in letterboxes that you can easily install since they are made to fit standard Australian brick sizes.
They can also fit into pillars and/or fences of different depths. Usually constructed from galvanized steel, these letterboxes are sturdy and may even be rust-proof. Rust-proof letterboxes are made from marine grade stainless steel and are best for homes near the ocean or other similar locations.
There are different designs to choose from, as well. There are ones with polished steel finishes or those combined with black slots for mail or A4 documents. They can also feature a ring or one with both letter and newspaper slots.
3. Mount>3. Mounted Letterboxesan choose from three main kinds of mounted letterboxes.
- Nipper letterboxes are designed to fit onto picket fence backs. They are cleverly disguised but not hidden, with the letter slot still perfectly accessible between the pickets.
If you get this type of letterbox, you can paint it or leave it as is since it comes in a galvanized steel color. It also features locking provisions for more security. There are also other designs for fence-mounted letterboxes. Choose from a selection of faceplates — from black stainless steel to rust, chrome, and other finishes.
- Post-mounted letterboxes stand on sturdy galvanized steel posts that come in different colors or made to look like timber. These letterboxes come in different shapes and sizes and have a unique modern look that can amplify the visual volume of your yard. They feature a key lockable door, newspaper holder, and weather-resistant A4-sized letter slot.
- Wall-mounted letterboxes, as the name suggests, are mounted on walls. There are so many options to choose from when it comes to the design. You may even choose one with an LED numeral display powered with solar energy. It can easily be installed in timber, brick, or steel walls and fences, and already comes with fittings.
4. Multi-r>4. Multi-residence Letterboxeshappen to live in a townhouse, condominium, or apartment complex, then don’t despair. There are letterboxes designed especially for multi-residential areas.
These multi-residence letterboxes may come in a stainless steel or black frame. They may be installed in multiple ways and can fit into standard Sandleford frames that can hold up to six letterboxes.
Constructed from galvanized steel with a powder-coated finish and key-lockable slots, these letterboxes can fit A4-sized documents.
Safe and Sty>Safe and Stylishpromise the safety and security of important documents and parcels. After all, if you’re willing to invest in home security products, getting a letterbox to keep your mail and parcels secure should be part of your home security strategy.
With the stylish and sturdy models available for quality letterboxes, you can select from the more traditional red pillar post boxes to ones in a range of colors, materials, and finishes that will compliment your home design.
When you have no qualms in purchasing pretty additions to your home such as lovely pavements, an added sunroom, or a wooden cubby house for the kids, why not also invest in a chic yet practical letterbox? It’s a simple home improvement tool that can add a quaint visual appeal to your lovely abode.
AUTHOR B>AUTHOR BIOs the General Manager at Sandleford Holdings. He has been working in the DIY & Home Improvement industry since 2007 and has vast experience sourcing and developing products from overseas suppliers in the Far East. Jay has also been successful dealing with a number of major DIY & Home Improvement retailers throughout his career.
Beau Flavell has been a Product & Account Manager for Sandleford Holdings since July 2017. He completed his VCE at Brighton Grammar School and also holds an A-Class Electrician License. Beau has been working on developing a new range of innovative letterboxes and currently lives in Melbourne, Australia.